In this Policy, ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ means Vision Insurance (SI) Limited
What personal information we collect
In New Zealand, under the Privacy Act 2020, “personal information” means information about an identifiable individual. We collect certain types of personal information about you, including:
- information in relation to the application for, provision and administration of insurance, such as your contact details, date of birth, information about assets or liabilities to be insured, physical and personal risk profile, details of previous insurances and past insurance claims and criminal records;
- information in relation to the application for, provision and administration of loan agreements, such as your contact details, date of birth, employment details, income details, and criminal records;
- financial, billing and invoicing information;
- if you visit our website, we will collect personal information that you submit, such as via online forms; and
- Identification information, such as Drivers Licences, passports or any other identification you provide us; and
- any other personal information you otherwise provide to us.
If you do not provide us with the information that we need, we or any of our third-party service providers may not be able to provide you with products or services.
How we collect your personal information
We may collect personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you via our website, telephone, in writing or email; and/or
- indirectly from third parties, if necessary. For example, your employer, referees, insurers, premium funders and other third-party service providers or publicly from available sources.
You authorise us to contact such third parties for the purposes of providing you with the information or services that you have requested.
Our purposes for using and disclosing your personal information
We use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of providing our services to you and related purposes. Such purposes include:
- assessing and managing your insurance application and policy;
- managing and processing payments;
- communicating with you about our products and services;
- conducting market or customer research;
- administering claims;
- developing, establishing and administering alliances and other arrangements with other organisations in relation to the promotion, administration and use of our services;
- telling you about our other service offerings which we believe may be relevant;
- statutory or regulatory reporting;
- internal or external audit; and
- any other purpose notified to you at the time your personal information is collected.
Disclosure of your personal information
We will disclose your personal information to:
- insurers, reinsurers, other insurance intermediaries, insurance reference bureaus and industry bodies;
- assessors appointed by insurers to assess or investigate your claims;
- others named on your policy as co-insureds or interested parties;
- third party providers engaged by you to provide services for you (lawyers, accountants etc), with your permission;
- service providers engaged to provide services to you in relation to your insurance (such as providing repairs);
- your power of attorney, or someone authorised by you to act on your behalf, only if and when required;
- third parties who help manage our business and provide our services, including our third-party service providers, such as payment system operators, IT suppliers, lawyers, accountants, other advisers and financial institutions;
- any other entities notified to you at the time of collection; and
- courts, law enforcement, regulators and other government agencies to comply with all applicable laws, regulations and rules.
Transfer of personal information overseas
We may disclose your personal information to third-party service providers and/or insurers who may process your personal information either on our behalf or otherwise for one or more of the above-stated purposes.
We will take appropriate steps to ensure that transfers of personal information are in accordance with applicable law and carefully managed to protect your privacy rights, such as by ensuring disclosures are limited to recipients who are subject to privacy laws which are recognised as providing a comparable level of legal protection as the Privacy Act 2020 or where we can be satisfied that alternative arrangements are in place to protect your privacy rights.
Your obligations when you provide personal information of others
You must not provide us with personal information of any other individual unless you have the express authorisation of that individual to do so. If you do provide us with such information about another individual, before doing so you:
- warrant that you have that individual’s consent to provide their information to us.
If you have not done this, you must tell us before you provide any third party information.
Your obligations when we provide you with personal information
If we give you, or provide you access to, the personal information of any other person, you must only use it:
- for the purposes we have agreed to; and
You must also ensure that your agents, advisers, employees and contractors meet the above requirements.
Accuracy, access and correction of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date whenever we collect, use or disclose it. However, we also rely on you to advise us of any changes to your personal information.
Please contact us using our contact details below as soon as possible if there are any changes to your personal information or if you believe the personal information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date.
You can make a request to access your personal information or to have it corrected by contacting us using the contact details below. If you make an access request, we will provide you with access to the personal information we hold about you unless otherwise required or permitted by law. We will notify you of the basis for any denial of access to your personal information.
Security of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to protect any personal information that we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
We will also take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information we hold that is no longer necessary for the disclosed purpose is destroyed or permanently de-identified, subject to any legal obligation to keep the personal information for any required period. In accordance with the Privacy Act 2020 – Vision Insurance (SI) Ltd are obligated to notify both the Privacy Commissioner and any affected individuals of any notifiable privacy breach as soon as reasonably practicable after becoming aware of the breach.
We may amend this Policy from time to time.
Intranet and Website
This Policy as amended from time to time is to be placed on the Vision Insurance (SI) Ltd website and is also available upon request.
Concerns, Queries & Complaints
If a person has any concern, query or complaint about:
- any personal information that may have been collected, used or disclosed by us;
- a breach of the Privacy Act 2020, it’s principles and codes,
they are to be referred to the Privacy Officer of Vision Insurance (SI) Ltd.
We take complaints very seriously and will respond shortly after receiving written notice of the complaint.
Contacting the Vision Insurance (SI) Ltd Privacy Officer:
Telephone: (03) 307 1990
Contacting our dispute resolution service:
Financial Services Complaints Ltd
P.O. Box 5967, Wellington 6145
Telephone: 0800 347 257
Vision Insurance – a small South Island company providing a personal service